The Swallowtail Lighthouse was built in 1859 following a ship wreck off the peninsula, Ashburton Head, near where the lighthouse is located. After this shipwreck and the many dangers before, the island knew that a lighthouse was needed to warn ships about the deadly rocks beneath the sea. Original Grand Manan pine was chopped and chucked into the ocean for a year so it could absorb the sea salt that would protect the wood and allow it to support the lighthouse for many years to come. These 8 mighty beams are still in excellent condition 150 years later. Grand Manan pine no longer exists.